I finished my cake last night
It came out very well, though there were a few things about it that could have been better. The finish on the orange fondant I laid on the outside was peppered with air holes, or possibly tear holes. It dried out too much between when I colored it and rolled it out. The smaller batches of black and green that I used for stem, face, and leaves were just fine.
The cake was also only about half as tall as I envisioned it. That's fine, cause a double batch would have been way too much cake, but it's just not as pumpkin-like. It looks like one of those sad, flat little mini pumpkins that isn't good for carving or eating, just for sitting on a shelf like a gourd. But there was enough room for a face so it's all good.
I will probably make another one for Thanksgiving, a double batch so it is taller like I wanted. And I will have pictures of that one! But it won't have a face on it, because that wouldn't fit the holiday.
Oh, and it was delicious